A medical courier is a must-have service for those in the medical or dental fields. It can make serving your patients easier, faster and more effective, and it helps ensure their information and medical documents are kept safe and secure every step of the way.
But all medical couriers aren’t created equal. You can’t just choose one out of the phone book and expect them to provide the best quality service. In fact, you should be extra diligent when it comes to choosing a medical courier. Meet with several, ask questions, and do your research before choosing one to work with.
The best couriers will be ones who:
- Are familiar with HIPAA and other compliance regulations – HIPAA dictates how medical information can be transmitted and transferred, and its main goal is to preserve patients’ privacy. Make sure any courier you choose is highly familiar with HIPAA, as well as any other regulations that may apply to your specific sector of the medical field.
- Have training in handling HAZMAT and blood-borne pathogens – These trainings are crucial for a medical courier, as they keep both the specimen and the general public safe from harm.
- Serve all ranges of medical professionals – A great medical courier doesn’t just serve hospitals. They’ll provide services to doctors, dentists, nurses, hospices and laboratories – whichever medical professionals need help.
- Offer immediate, emergency deliveries – Nowhere else is fast, immediate customer attention as important as it is for medical professionals. Many times, it really is a matter of life or death. Because of this, a quality medical courier will offer emergency services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Provide mobile notary services – In hospitals and nursing homes, notarizing powers of attorney and medical directives is pretty common. To get the most value out of your medical courier, choose one who offers notary services, too.